In my day job when I am coaching I often work with people on how to identify what they want in life. This can be a difficult one for some people because it isn’t always obvious for them, for many different reasons.
There is one coaching tool that I use which often gets great results for the person and I would like to share it with you here today so you can try it, if you wish. I call this the “What I Want” Table (see photo below).
Take a blank piece of paper (see photo below) and head it up “What I Want“. State underneath this what life area you want to focus on for e.g. “Health”. Draw a table with two columns. On the left hand column, write the heading, “What I Don’t Want” and the right hand column, write the heading, “What I Want”.
People struggling to identify what they want in life often find it easier to start with what they DON’T want in that area of their life.
Complete the left hand column first for e.g. what you don’t want to think, feel, do and experience in this specific area of your life and then write down the contrast of that on the right column, i.e. “What I Want”, i.e. what I do want to think, feel, do and experience.
This is a really simple but effective process in helping you identify what you want by thinking about what you don’t want first. It can make identifying the “What I Want” process a whole lot easier for you.
Your BIG Why
It is also really important to have a big enough reason as to WHY you want to achieve that goal in the first place, why is it so important for you to achieve and it must also be in alignment with your core values.
If you are struggling to think about what you want in life, please try the above process and let me know if it works for you. This process really works for me and for some of the people I coach but it is important to know that we are all different and just because this process works for me it doesn’t mean it will work for you. But hey, I say, please give it a go and tell me what you think.
Much love to you today, Clarabelle
- Do you need a road map! (bevwilliamson78.wordpress.com)
- Life Coaching For Kids (lifeinsurancequote.net)
- New Self-discovery Book Reveals How ‘Finding Passion’ Answers… (prweb.com)
- How to Plan Your Life? (clarabelle.org)
- No goals, no clarity, no success. The reason why you might be failing. (pacesetter.me)
- Setting goals: first things first (heartmindfulness.wordpress.com)
- The Benefits of Coaching (advancelawtututors.wordpress.com)
- Why Are You Apologizing For Your Desires? (borntobeaheroine.wordpress.com)
- Good Blog Post On Goals (amadmanspathtoreason.com)
- Coaching made simple (clarifyingmoments.wordpress.com)