As of yesterday (02.4.13), I am now a fully Certified Mental Health First Aider, so what does that mean?
Mental Health First Aid, like any other type of first aid, is the help given to a person before appropriate professional help or treatment can be obtained. First aid of any type has the following aims:
1. To preserve life
2. To prevent deterioration of any injury or illness
3. To promote healing
4. To provide comfort to the person who is ill, injured or distressed.
Mental Health First Aid is the help given to someone experiencing a mental health problem before other help can be accessed. A MHFA is not a therapist, however, people are trained in:
- How to ask about suicide.
- How to recognise the signs of mental health problems or distress.
- How to provide initial help.
- How to guide a person towards appropriate professional help.
First Aid for…
View original post 421 more words